History 141 - Modern Civilizations                                                                                         

Spring 2016

Dr. Florence M. Baker

 

Midterm Exam

 

Take home essay is due in class on Thursday, February 26 (TTH section) and Wednesday, March 2 (MW section)                                             

                                                     

Your exam should be about 4 to 5 typewritten pages (double-spaced) in length. It should be written clearly and concisely, and developed logically with evidence or examples to support your statements. When citing evidence or an example be sure to explain how it supports your point. Do not use direct quotes; paraphrase and cite the source of your information. Answer all parts of the question.

 

Remember:

·         Review your handout on Guidelines for Writing Essay Exams.

·         This is not a research assignment - only class materials (textbook, lectures, videos, handouts) are to be used.

·         Cheating and plagiarism (using the words or ideas of others as if they were your own) will not be tolerated.

·         You are responsible to keep a copy of all work submitted to the instructor.

 

Questions: Choose two articles from Part I and one question from Part II and answer all parts.

 

I.  Choose two articles and answer the questions at the end of each. (30% of exam grade)

 

1. Atlantic Sugar Production (pp. 574-575)

 

2. West Africa’s Gold Miners (pp. 588-589)

 

3. Al-Sa’di on Jenne (p. 591)

 

4. Alonso de Sandoval, “General Points Relating to Slavery” (p. 596)       

 

II. Choose Question A or Question B and answer all parts (70% of exam grade).

 

A. The Spanish and Portuguese in the Americas

Answer the following questions taking into consideration your textbook readings and lectures. Support your answers with evidence and examples.

 

1. Compare and contrast the Spanish and Portuguese in the following:

> their conquest of the Americas

> their exploitation of the land of the Americas

> their exploitation of the people of the Americas.

 

Note: For the compare/contrast question you should have two separate paragraphs for each part and each paragraph should begin with your thesis statement followed by supporting evidence or examples.

For example:

Paragraph 1: The Spanish and Portuguese conquest of the Americas was similar as both _____________.

Paragraph 2: The Spanish and Portuguese conquest of the Americas was different as the Spanish __________ while the Portuguese _________.

 

2. What factors led to the use of slaves and in particular African slaves in the Americas?  

                                   

B. The Transatlantic Slave Trade

Answer the following questions taking into consideration your textbook readings and lectures. Support your answers with evidence and examples.

 

1. Analyze the impact that the Transatlantic Slave Trade had on the development of Africa in the following areas and support your answer with specific examples.

> political

> economic

> demographic.

 

2.  Identify and explain two ways the Barbary Coast Pirates (see Chapter 20) were similar to the Atlantics Slave traders and two ways they were different.

 

Note: For the compare/contrast question you should have two separate paragraphs for each part and each paragraph should begin with your thesis statement followed by supporting evidence or examples.

For example:

Paragraph 1: The Barbary Coast Pirates and Atlantic Slave Traders were similar as both _______________.

Paragraph 2: The Barbary Coast Pirates and Atlantic Slave Traders were different as the Barbary Coast Pirates _________________ while the Atlantic Slave Traders ________________.