History 140 - Early Civilizations
Dr. Florence M. Baker
Midterm Exam #2
Take home essay is due in class on Wednesday, April 6.
Your exam should be about 5 typewritten pages (double-spaced) in length. It should be written clearly and concisely, and developed logically with evidence or examples to support your statements. When citing evidence or an example be sure to explain how it supports your point. Do not use direct quotes; paraphrase and cite the source of your information. And be sure to answer all parts of the question.
- Review your handout on Guidelines for Writing Essay Exams
- This is not a research assignment – you are to use only class readings and lectures which provide sufficient material to answer the questions.
- Cheating and plagiarism (using the words or ideas of others as if they were your own) will not be tolerated.-
- You are responsible to keep a copy of all work submitted to the instructor.
Questions: Choose two articles from Part I and one question from Part II and answer all parts.
I. Choose two articles and answer the questions at the end of each. (30% of exam grade)
1. Chinese Diviners (p. 96)
2. The Chinese Book of Songs (p. 98)
3. Mesopotamian Astronomers (pp. 124-125)
4. The God Yahweh and the People of Israel Form a Covenant (p. 134)
II. Choose one Question (A or B) and answer all parts (70% of exam grade).
A. Early Eurasian Society and Warfare
1. Identify and explain three ways the domestication of the horse around 2,000 BCE changed the lives of nomadic peoples in Asia. Support your answer with specific examples for each point.
2. Carefully read the Document: Aryan Poetry in Praise of a War-Horse
> Which images (similes) used in this poem convey the Aryans= delight in warfare?
> What does the poem tell us about the strategies the Aryans used in fighting their battles?
3. Carefully read In Depth: Sunzi and the Shift from Ritual Combat to "Real" War and answer the following questions:
> What were the different goals of Ritual warfare and Sunzi warfare?
> Identify and explain three major differences in their approaches to warfare.
> If you were an ancient ruler attempting to establish a strong authority and stable state, which approach would you tell your military commanders to use and why?
B. Empires and Subjects
1. Identify the major characteristics of early empires.
> At what point in their history did Egypt and Nubia become empires? Explain.
2. Contrast the following aspects of the Assyrian and Persian Empires:
> economic basis
> treatment of subject peoples
Note: Your thesis statements for each part of this question should be as follows:
The origins of the Assyrian and Persian Empires were different as __________.
3. Define the following terms and give examples as experienced by the Jews of the early kingdoms of Israel and Judea.