RESOURCES AND TRAINING MATERIALS
Tutorials and Handbooks
- Working Definitions
- Guidelines for evaluating assessments proposals
- Timeline for Development of SLO Assessment Program
- The El Camino College SLO Handbook
This is our very own handbook, and it is updated regularly (last update: April, 2009).
- Assessing Student Learning in Higher Education
This is a great overall site by Janet Fulks at Bakersfield College with a tutorial containing a wealth of information about the SLO mandate and how to implement SLOs and assessment in your course or program.
This handbook, written and compiled by Bill Scroggins, is full of great examples, resources, and exercises for SLO and assessment development. (Microsoft Word format)
- Some other great handbooks include:
- Ball State University Assessment Workbook
- College of the Desert Handbook on Assessment for Two Year Colleges (created under the sponsorship of a California Community College Chancellor's Office Fund for Instructional Improvement Grant, Fall 2002)
- Classroom/Course-Level Assessment, Occupational Program SLO Assessment, and SLOs and Instructional Planning, all from Cabrillo College
- Oxnard College's Handbook for the Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Cycle
- SLO Training Manual presented by J. Fulks, G. Gilbert, K. Johnson, and C. Romanowich at the Summer 2005 Curriculum Institute, sponsored by California Assessment Institute
- University of Virginia's Assessment Guide
Chris Gold explains Program-Level SLOs in this video:
Accreditation and SLOs
The mandate for SLOs and assessment comes from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC), an arm of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In particular, the ACCJC Accreditation Standards is the document in which the SLO mandate is defined.
Institutional Learning Outcomes & Core Competencies
21st Century Learning Outcomes
This website features the "21st Century Learning Outcomes" project, spon
red by the League for Innovation in the Community College. 16 colleges nationwide participated in the project to increase their capacity to assess student learning and serve as models for other colleges implementing the assessment of student learning outcomes. Click on "Colleges" for links to the 16 participating community colleges; click on "Resource Directory" to find great books, articles, and websites devoted to assessment of student learning.
Assessment Programs at Other Colleges and Universities
Lists of Resources
- Bibliography for General Education Assessment
Contra Costa College put together this bibliography of valuable resources on general education assessment.
Faculty Web Links: Education and Teaching
This list of sources, compiled by the Contra Costa College library, contains many great links to resources on teaching and learning.
Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment
North Carolina State University put together a very comprehensive list of resources for outcomes assessment.
This is a page of great links to student learning outcomes and assessment resources compiled by Cabrillo College.
Learning Strategies Database
This is a page of links on various resources regarding learning strategies compiled by the Center for Advancement and Learning at Muskigam College in Ohio.
- Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation (PARE)
This is the link to an online journal published by the ERIC Clearinghouse.
Rubrics: Resources and Examples
Introduction to Scoring Rubrics
Chicago Public Schools put together this resource to introduce the concept of rubrics and how to use them.
- Scoring Rubrics
This is an article in PARE ("Practical Assessment, Research, and Evaluation," an online journal) which includes definitions and rubric construction ideas.
Organizations Associated with Student Learning Outcomes and Assessments
California Assessment Institute
CAI provides training workshops in learning outcomes assessment for California's community colleges. Sponsored by the RP Group, the Accrediting Commission
for Community and Junior Colleges and the State Chancellor's Office.
Center for Student Success
CSS, an organization which operates under the RP Group, identifies and disseminates information on best practices in the California Community Colleges. Click on the Learning Assessment link to gain access to great information and examples on SLOs and assessment at various California community colleges.
- The Research and Planning Group
The RP Group is the umbrella group for research and planning at California's community colleges.